Kesav Murthy Wable
I started acting in New York City in 2002 after graduating from Haverford College. I paid the bills working in finance first, then at a non-profit, all-the-while getting on stage as much as I could. A few roles I enjoyed during that time were Edmund in King Lear (Underhill Theater, Brooklyn), Hossein in Khaddish in East Jerusalem (Theater for the New City, NY) and Murellus in Julius Caesar (National Black Theater, Harlem).
During that time, I also started writing and eventually wrote my first full-length play, Ashoka's Wheel, which won recognition from Chicago Dramatists and was invited to a directed reading in Chicago by the Rasaka Theater Company. My next play, For Flow , won me the inaugural Indo-American Arts Council Fellowship at the Lark Play Development Center in 2005-06. By then I'd started my first year at Brooklyn Law School and continued to develop my work while hitting the books.
When I graduated law school in 2008, I was in the midst of produci ng my play For Flow with the company 25 to Life Productions in NYC's Theater for the New City (while studying for the Bar Exam!). In 2010, the same production company teamed up with our friends at Metroworks Entertainment and shot a short film that I adapted from For Flow . By a completely unexpected turn of fortune, For Flow was selected as a finalist at the 2011 HBO American Black Film Festival and screened on HBO and Cinemax between 2012-2014.
For a complete list of my previous work as an actor and writer, please view the resumes .
Awards & Honors
For Flow (short film- writer/producer)
- 2011 HBO American Black Film Festival Short Film Finalist
- 2011 Award of Excellence: Canada International Film Festival
- Official Selection 2010 New York Digital Short Film Festival
Dear Brother (original feature screenplay)
- 2nd Place Screenplay 2011 Flickers: Rhode Island International Film Festival
- short-listed for 2013 and 2016 Sundance Screenwriters Lab
Dear Brother (short film- actor/writer/producer)
- Official selection 2012 Santa Cruz Film Festival
- Official selection 2012 Chicago International Social Change Festival
- Semi-finalist for NexTV's Acting/Directing competition
For Flow (stage play)
- 2006-07 Indo-American Arts Council Inaugural Fellow at Lark Play Development Theater, NYC
- Selected for ActNow Foundation's New Voices in Theater Reading Series 2011- Brooklyn, NY
- Selected by Congo Square Theater's Reading Series 2011 - Chicago, IL
Ashoka's Wheel (stage play)
- Finalist 2005 Chicago Dramatists Many Voices Project
- Selected by Rasaka Theater's 2004 Reading Series